Search This Blog

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Escape from Britain

I really wanted my first conversation with you about beer to be a local San Diego brew, but when hubby came walking through the front door with Newcastle Werewolf, curiosity aled me.

Newcastle Werewolf  English Brown Ale ABV 5% 
Caledonian Brewery Company Ltd
What better way to toast the fall than to have a bottle of this formidable, dual character brew. At first smooth with mellow overtones of sweet berry fruit, a bite of bitterness suddenly cuts through, long, deep and lingering. Brewed with Rye Malt, it is naturally 'blood red' in colour. Unlike the mythical wolf-like creature said to roam the bleak moorland surrounding Newcastle, this is real, so consider yourself warned!


Hubby and I were having another couple over for drinks and desserts, so while setting up the cookie tray I popped open a bottle.

First sip, I was a bit turned off by the metallic rush that took over my mouth. I decided to pour the remainder of the beer into a glass, seeing that's how I like to drink my beer.



It indeed had a better taste in the glass (better, not amazing) and this way I cold see the color that claimed "blood red ale".
The color was more of an amber brown, just a shade lighter than their brown ale.

The taste was smooth with a bit of malty tang that lingers on the tongue. Slightly bitter finish with a harvest of roasted dried fruit undertone. Drinkable, but not too likable in my opinion.

I am glad the hubby brought this beer home to try, however, I won't go seeking out the stores for this one.


Side note: drinking this beer and cutting it with the cookies we served wasn't too bad. We purchased 3 different flavored IKEA cookies: orange, ginger, and cappuccino. The spice of these cookie crisps surprisingly paired well with The Werewolf.





No comments:

Post a Comment